Monday, May 16, 2011

The Films of Summer 2011 are Upon Us: Part 2

...okay here we go...round 2....I'm all jacked up on Rockstar and white cheddar popcorn so this should be a breeze....

GREEN LANTERN: (opens 6/17) for those of you who read my nonsense when I sporadically post it, you may recall in the past me referring to green lantern as my personal "most important" film of the summer. For me, seeing this movie actually coming to fruition is like a dream come true. As a kid I grew up loving comics and superhero's in general (Batman till this day being my personal favorite) but I always liked the green lantern (GL) story, and for some reason the character of Sinestro was always a personal favorite of mine(hopefully this film and future sequels will show you why). GL was something much different than the usual "lone hero" story. It was grand, more sci fi in nature. It always touched upon the idea that there was something bigger out there, that life wasn't just a series of random events that happen but instead there was a larger universe and plan at hand. As I got older I fell out of the loop as so many do and I lost touch with the stories in general but that all changed a few years ago when some friends reintroduced me to the character and gave me some books chronicling the major "events" the stories have taken on over the years. I was instantly hooked. Reading the past several years of GL titles (which have for the most part been masterfully helmed by Geoff Johns) has been, in my opinion, what people in 77 must have felt like watching Star Wars for the first time. With all that said this is where my excitement for the movie comes in. Part of me thinks theres no way this movie could live up to the source material, but the fact that its being made is hope enough. The first trailer for the movie didn't look great, but since then the film looks like it has some potential. As more information has come out about the film it looks like GL fans may actually get the huge sci fi film we have been hoping for. It really could go either way at this point but if its successful I look forward to what the future holds for this franchise (especially knowing how Epic the sequel stories could be). Without question I will be there opening night as I would only want to see this movie with other people who could recite the GL oath verbatim off the top of their head.....Go see it...opening weekend...see it in 3D, 4D or 5D....Just do it

Cars 2: (opening 6/24) perfection is a rare thing, but in the case of Pixar feature animation it is a reality. At this point they have produced 11 beautiful, well rounded and beloved films. These films have far surpassed numerous live features that have come out in the same time frame and you have to believe that they know what they are doing going into this summer's "Cars 2". A lot of people say that the original Cars was one of the lesser Pixar films but I thought it was a great story that further displayed their gifts as filmmakers. With all that said I have to admit I still find myself wondering if they're gonna go 12-0 with this movie. The first trailer made me roll my eyes to no end (pretty much what I was saying earlier about Jack Black's level of annoying but x1000 for Larry the Cable Guy) and I think many people expect this to be the first time Pixar "drops the ball". Nonetheless, this is Pixar....I'm sure they know what they are doing and I hope to be pleasantly surprised by what they do with this sequel...This will be a matinee for The family and I but I still wouldn't miss it in theaters.

Transformers : Dark of The Moon (opening 7/1) The first thing I thought when I saw the subtitle to this film was "really, they couldn't just pay Pink Floyd for the right to include the word side"?......after I got past the name my second thought was "at least it can't be worse than part 2" ....don't get me wrong, I paid to see part 2 in Imax so I understand and accept that I am part of the problem...and while there were some redeeming qualities (despite all the wrongs, they have just got Optimus Prime's persona so right) overall the second film was horrible on so many levels (The insanely racist twin robots and the constant toilet humor being my 2 least favorite aspects). Seeing the most recent trailers actually made me think they may have learned some lessons from the second film. I've read interviews with cast members who have openly admitted they messed up the second film so I guess that gives me some hope for this one. All in all, whether you like it or not, Transformers 3 is exactly what summer movies are supposed to be and for that reason I'll be there for the midnight Imax 3D showing....

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows part 2: (opening 7/15) as much as I would love to write pages about my feelings toward this film there's really nothing that needs to be said. Your either excited about going to see this or your not. For many people it is the close to a series that they grew up with. Over a decades worth of love towards a series that will live on as a classic for generations. Get there early, enjoy the world J.K. Rowling created one last time with friends....and honestly bring a box of tissues because your probably going to need them.

Captain America (Opening 7/22) Marvel Studios 2nd entry (the first being Thor) in this summer's cornucopia of blockbusters is none other than the Star Spangled Superhero himself. From the looks of the trailer and the overall placement of this movie smack in the middle of summer, one can expect it to be yet another huge success for Marvel. Expect a great origin story that nicely sets up the last piece heading into next years HUGE Avengers film. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this movie, though much like Thor I'm assuming the 3D will just be a waste of money for this one...definitely an opening night/weekend must see, though due to prior obligations ill probably have to catch this a week or 2 after its initial release

Cowboys and Aliens (Opening 7/29) I've been in at least 2 theaters where this trailer has played and people have scoffed at the name of the movie at the end. While I get that it seems like a ridiculous premise I cant help but have high hopes for this movie. I mean its a high concept collaboration (based on a graphic novel) between Jon Favreau (who has become one of the best filmmakers around today, period) and Steven Spielberg (who doesn't need and introduction) which is starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. How can anyone assume this will be a bad movie? Personally the fact that James Bond and Han Solo will be fighting aliens while dressed as cowboys is more than enough to get my full price ticket purchased. That coupled with the fact that this is really the last Big blockbuster being released this summer should give it time to earn a decent take at the box office. Definitely a must see movie for me plus they're not even trying to cash in with 3D so count me in for the midnight show...

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (opening 8/5) first it was called Caesar, then rise of the apes and now its rise of the planet of the apes...... initially it was coming out in June but then backed off and is now being released at the end of the summer in August....The promotion for the film places more emphasis of the fact that the effects are being done by WETA studios (who did the Lord of the Rings films and Avatar) than the actual film itself.....yet despite all of this, the movie looks really intriguing....its kind of shaping up like the "batman begins" of planet of the apes movies.....I'll check this out but it will probably be at a matinee, because I cant see lining up for a movie that the producers don't even seem like they're that sure will be that successful...


................well there you have it, the summer movie season in a nutshell....sure there's probably a few films that will slip under the radar and some great independent features that may make some waves but overall I think Ive addressed the larger scale films that will be fighting for your money this summer.....its a good time to be a fan of movies and hopefully ill see some of you there...but if you'll excuse me now I have to figure which of my kidneys I need to sell on the black market so I can pay for all of these tickets.... I'll see ya when I see ya folks....

No comments:

Post a Comment