Monday, May 16, 2011

The Films of Summer 2011 are Upon us: Part 1

Sooooo..... In the past, I have mentioned that I thoroughly enjoy going to the movies and would be writing about it in the future, but clearly due to the lack of that topic content on this blog, it would be right of you to say "Hey there for a second Writing Rambler, are you a dirty liar?".....short answer, yes, I am a dirty liar... but in my defense, that's just with most other things...... in regard to movies I actually do really enjoy the fine art that is cinema..... now that we've got that ugliness out of the way, lets get to some rambling....


Ahhh Summer 2011, how I have awaited thee.....After last year's dismal summer release schedule (Which if not for the 2 masterpieces of Toy Story 3 and Inception, would have probably been one of the worst ever....p.s. don't get me wrong I enjoyed Iron Man 2, Karate Kid and A-Team personally, but even with those included, 2010 was severely lacking in the summer blockbuster department) I have been really looking forward to the return of a summer full of huge blockbuster releases. By the looks of trailers and the release schedule so far, it seems like we are shaping up to see an extremely busy and fun time to be a fan of the movies. I know a lot of people complain because of rising ticket prices due to 3D and "Imax" add on fees (I put Imax in quotes because of the ever increasing "Imax" theater additions which are not actual IMAX screens, but instead just large screens with upgraded sound and camera systems....don't get me wrong, the quality is excellent but its still not the full IMAX theater experience which is still relegated to very few screens across the country.....annnnd that was one of the nerdiest tangent rants I have ever went on....which is saying a lot) and I agree with the sentiment fully, but there are always ways around going broke at the movies. My best advice, if you really want to see as many films as possible, is to take advantage of matinees!!! It seems like a no brainer but so many people ignore the fact that on weekdays most shows before 5-6pm are discounted and on the weekends most shows before noon are as well. Nonetheless, If you cant get out to all the big summer movies (and honestly even with matinees, theres so much stuff this summer that you'd probably need a home loan to take it all in) I've gone ahead and compiled a list/guide to what movies I think best deserve your hard earned money this summer. With that said...here we go (FYI this list will be in release date order so don't get your knickers in a bunch if your favorite movie isn't reviewed first):

FAST 5: (currently playing, released on 4/29) While technically a spring release, "Fast 5" definitely started this summer's big, loud movie season off in the right direction. Honestly, if you've never cared for the "Fast" series of films then this movie is probably not for you (also whats probably not for you: America, bbq's and being awesome in general). It's a movie that doesn't apologize for what it is and is a ton of fun if you let it be. Arguably the best entry in the "Fast" series, it, in a way, reinvents the franchise from a car racing theme to a heist series instead. Plus its got the Rock in it....I checked out the Imax matinee (no 3D thank the Lord above) and it was great, especially worth it for the sound system......I'm done here...go see it....

THOR: (currently playing, released on 5/6) what many people consider the true start to the summer movie season, Thor is the next superhero film in Marvel Studios lineup of blockbusters that started with Iron Man in 2008 (before you try to call me out and say there have been plenty of other Marvel films before Iron Man let me explain myself. Iron man was the first actual "Marvel Studios" film. Basically anything before it was made by others studios who licensed the characters from Marvel. Which is one of the reasons we have had numerous horrible superhero movies (cough cough Spiderman 3, X-Men 3, Daredevil..cough cough/etc)). Happily, Thor lives up to Marvel Studios standards of treating their source material with respect and also continues to set up the larger "Marvel film universe" which is leading to the Avengers film in 2012. Honestly, this could have been a very hard sell for general audiences due to the large fantasy element that Thor entails but director Kenneth Branagh did a great job blending Thor's fantasy world and the real world on screen so anyone can appreciate the story. Overall, It's a great summer movie that appeals to young and old alike. I highly recommend it.One thing I will say negatively is that I had the chance to see it in "Imax" 3D and while the movie looks and sounds great, the 3D conversion (meaning it wasn't shot in 3D, just converted in post production) is pointless and definitely not worth the extra money....

BRIDESMAIDS: (currently playing, released on 5/13) While I haven't seen it myself as of yet. I have heard nothing but positive reviews from those who have. Kristen Wiig is an exceptionally funny comedian and deserves a huge hit under her belt and hopefully she will get it from this movie. It just had a decent opening weekend where it came in 2nd place with about $25 million to Thor (in its 2nd weekend). This good start plus positive word of mouth should help its success in the long run. Ill definitely check this out and with it not being a 3d or Imax release I should be able to catch a nice matinee viewing sooner or later without breaking the bank.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES: (opens 5/20) The 4th entry in the Pirates of the Caribbean series seems like more of the same from what we've come to expect from the misadventures of Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow. It's been 4 years since the last "Pirates" film but with the exception of Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom not returning, I wouldn't expect much difference from this entry. Disney knows it has a successful franchise on its hands and will continue to produce sequels for the foreseeable future (not that that's a bad thing). These movies so far have been exciting, fun and are great viewing for the entire family and I expect no less from this entry. My opinion: I'll definitely check it out with the family at a matinee and I may cave and see it in 3D if only because it was actually shot with 3D cameras

THE HANGOVER 2: (opens 5/26) The original Hangover was such a huge success that this sequel was a no brainer. Personally, while I found the original film funny, I never quite got why so many people swear by it being one of the funniest films of all time. Honestly, this movie doesn't need much "talk up" because you already know if your gonna see it or not by now. It's gonna make a ton of money wheter or not it's just a rehashing of the first films exploits or not.... maybe I'll catch a matinee...Hey, at least it's not charging extra for "Imax" or 3D

KUNG FU PANDA 2: (opens 5/26) "Kung Fu Panda" really impressed me when I first saw it in 2008. I had written it off as an animated movie I would just deal with being forced to see because I had children and I can say I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of heart and quality that the film had. It showed that Dreamworks animation studios was intent on producing quality entertainment that could hopefully rival Pixar's dominance of the genre. Despite all this good memory, I find myself rolling my eyes at the trailers for the sequel. I honestly think its just Jack Black's personality (which has become more and more annoying with each film he makes) that's clouding my pre-judgement of this movie and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised once again. This is definitely a matinee movie and I will be avoiding 3D if possible.

X-MEN:FIRST CLASS: (opens 6/3) ohhhhh how I want to hate you X-Men:First Class....why won't you let me hate you?!.....Normally I would be gushing about yet another superhero movie being released but I just want to despise this movie so badly.....there's several reasons for this: 1) While the X-Men are Marvel superheroes, this movie is not an actual Marvel Studios release (the rights are still owned by Fox, who due to a legal loophole get to keep the X-Men character rights as long as they keep producing X-Men films, no matter the quality) so I expect Fox to screw this movie up somehow in a rush to make a ton of money. 2) I absolutely hated what Fox did to this franchise in X-Men 3 and Wolverine (just thinking of Deadpool's butchering is making me angry right now)....3) yeah I'm still mad about Deadpool......yet despite all this anger I'm still somehow oddly intrigued by this movie. Maybe it's the fact that it looks like an origin story about Magneto and Xavier or maybe because it's being directed by Matthew Vaughn who after "Kick A$$" I fully trust with the reigns of a comic book movie....I don't know...it still makes me angry that somewhere deep down inside despite my hatred I want to see it..... I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll bite the bullet on this and be there for the midnight screening with the other nerds but I openly admit now I'm ashamed of myself for it....

SUPER 8: (opens 6/10) Here we go...the movie that I hope will wash whatever shame I have leftover from X-Men off for good...I can not wait for Super 8. While many casual moviegoers may not even know what movie this is, (other than a few vague creepy trailers so far) for film nerds (I can't stand the term cinephile....it sounds like some perv who is strangely attracted to DVDs or something) this may be the movie of the summer. Most people have no idea what the premise is other than what looks like a sci fi/alien/monster movie from the minds of JJ. Abrams and Steven Spielberg, but that alone should make you want to see this film! Add on to that the trailers, which seem to look like a throwback to earlier films like "stand by me" and "close encounters of the third kind" and you have what may be the surprise hit of the summer. Whether or not the general public will get behind this movie in a season of blockbuster after blockbuster is unknown but I have a strong feeling/hope this will be a classic in the making. I'll be there...."Imax".... Paramus....Midnight......Bill........those of you who know the deal, Ill see you there....

.... okay...I need a breather.... I realized the next movie on my list is Green Lantern and honestly I need a break before I start that one.... hopefully you've enjoyed so far.....see ya  for part 2 of this list, which should be up soon

No comments:

Post a Comment